Skip to main content

3 best ways to answer the ‘Sell me this pen.’ question in interviews!

As a hiring manager, let me tell you why I’m asking you to sell me the pen:
When I ask someone to sell me an arbitrary thing, I am looking to see if they do discovery or not. I want to know if they are going to learn about my needs regarding the imaginary product, how I use it, what I liked about my last one, etc.
If I ask you to sell me a toaster and you immediately start telling me about features and benefits, how many slices it can toast, how it can burn in a picture of Darth Vader, you are not getting hired.
If you ask me how often I toast bread, how many slices I need to toast per hour, what I liked about my last toaster, etc. then you made it through the question.
If you get asked this question, start asking questions!
— Mike Hillyer, (Professional Pre-Sales Professional and Certified Product Manager)

You could answer similar to the way that reportedly the best salesman in the world answered to Johnny Carson.
While the salesman was a guest on the show Johnny said, “I understand you sold more than any other salesman this year at your firm. How about you sell me something.”
The salesman said, “what would you want me to sell you?”
“I don’t know, how about this ashtray.” Johnny answered.
“Why would I sell you that ashtray?” the salesman replied.
“Well, it is a useful thing to have around, a lot of our guests use it, and it also matches the desk.” Johnny answered.
The salesman asked, “How much do you think that ashtray is worth?”
“I don’t know maybe $199″ Johnny replied.
“Tell you what. You can have it for $50.”
— Michael Gillam (Emergency Physician and Technologist)


The real answer is, before I’m even  going to sell a pen to anybody, I need to know about the person, I want  to know what their needs are, what kind of pens do they use, do they use  a pen? How often do they use a pen? Do they like to use a pen formally,  to sign things, or use it in their everyday life?
The first idea is  that when you say ‘Sell me this pen,’ I want to hear [the salesman] ask  me a question. ‘So tell me, how long have you been in the market for a  pen?’ I want them to turn it around on me and start asking me questions  to identify my needs, what I’m looking for. And if you do that, people  don’t know what to do. Next thing, he is answering, and now I’m  controlling the conversation, finding out exactly what he needs.
“Once  I have that, I say, ‘You know, Bill, based on what you’ve just said to  me, the pen I have here is the perfect fit. Let me tell you what it’s  about…’ Then you can tell them about what you have, because you’re  filling a need.
Most average or newbie salespeople think that they’re  supposed to sell you the pen, when a really seasoned salesperson will  actually turn it into a qualifying session to find out what you need.  That’s the truth of it. It’s like trying to sell someone a house and you  don’t know if they’re in the market for a house, what kind of house  they want, how many kids – so how can you sell someone a house? That’s  the point.
— Jordan Belfort (American author, Motivational speaker, and Former stockbroker who was played by Leonardo Di Caprio in The Wolf of the Wall Street)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hootsuite - A modern Social Media Management Tool

Hootsuite is a social media management system for brand management created by Ryan Holmes in 2008. The system’s user interface takes the form of a dashboard, and supports social network integrations for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Foursquare, MySpace, WordPress, TrendSpottr and Mixi. Additional integrations are available via Hootsuite’s App Directory, including Instagram, MailChimp, Reddit, Storify, Tumblr, Vimeo and YouTube. Based in Vancouver, Hootsuite has over 500 staff located in Vancouver, San Francisco, New York, Hong Kong, London, Sydney, Singapore, and other countries. The company operates on a freemium model and has over 10 million users in more than 175 countries. The service is commonly used to manage online brands and to submit messages to a variety of social media services, including Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Mixi. Companies and organizations known to use Hootsuite include Facebook, PrintBindaas, the Obama administration, HBO, Martha Stewart Media,

The Secret to Getting the Postdoc You Want - By Martin Chalfie

I think that one of the scariest parts of being President of the Society for Developmental Biology is coming up with topics for these editorials in the Newsletter. This time, however, I want to write about an issue that has bothered me for many years: how people apply for postdoctoral positions. In my experience most people (around 99%) apply incorrectly for their postdocs, and I suspect that many people do not get the postdoc that they want because of their applications. I’d like to change that situation. So what do the 99% do that I feel is wrong? These applicants usually send a letter or email (either is fine) saying that they are interested in doing a postdoc and like the research done in the lab. Then they include their CV and the names of three references that can be contacted. Very little thought needs to be put into such applications, and they can be (and probably are) sent to tens if not hundreds of people. I am convinced that the usual reply to such letters is, “Sorry

Vietnam tech firm unveils ‘world’s best smartphone’

After months of speculation and leaks, Vietnamese tech firm Bkav finally unveiled its flagship Bphone on Tuesday, with its CEO proudly telling a 2,000-attendee event in Hanoi they have succeeded in making the world’s best smartphone. Nguyen Tu Quang, who founded Hanoi-based Bkav in 2001, took the stage to deliver a presentation on his brainchild in what obviously reminded viewers of the way late Apple CEO Steve Jobs or his successor Tim Cook told the world about their iPhones. “This is the best smartphone in the world. We did it!” Quang told more than 2,000 tech enthusiasts and the media who filled the Vietnam National Convention Center, which was hosting what is believed to be the biggest tech event in Vietnam so far. Bkav had intended to invite only 1,000 guests but eventually had to double the number as the Bphone has been making headlines for more than four months since it was first introduced at the Consumers Electronics Show in Las Vegas early this year. All eyes of t